Introduction – Surfing Nosara
Best Time: December ~ April
Nosara has become increasingly popular amongst traveling surfers as it offers a more laid back, relaxed atmosphere than its bustling neighbor to the north, Tamarindo, while boasting world class surf almost all year.
The small community of Nosara offers visitors a unique experience with a variety of moderate accommodations, activities such as surfing, fishing, horseback riding and more.
Nosara has become a popular destination for repeat visitors to Costa Rica who are looking for a different experience than Tamarindo or Hermosa. This is one of Costa Rica’s most beautiful areas and the only noise that you will hear in Nosara is the sound of the waves crashing and the monkeys howling. It is one of the most laid back beaches with incredible sunsets, eco-friendly environment and has a great local community of surf photographers to help you get your best shot.
Nosara is accessed by taking the ferry from Tempisque Ferry across the Nicoya Peninsula and then drive for 2 hours until reaching Nosara. There is also a small airport in Nosara to fly into.
This area receives consistent swells, good wind conditions and has become a popular spot for longboarders.
A beach break and a left reef that work better on higher tides. There are many peaks with hollow, fast rights and lefts. The waves jack up off the sandbar creating a tough entry. On a large enough swell, try surfing at Playa Blanca directly in front of the Iguana Azul which offers double overhead epic lefts.
Located between Junquillal and Ostional, this is one of the area’s most consistent breaks offering excellent conditions with the presence of offshore winds. No services.
Beach and reef break with rights and lefts that works on higher tides and south to southwest swells. Located north of Nosara.
Great beach break with peaks and shallow rock reef lefts that get barrelling with a large south or southwest swell.
A rock reef on the north side which is best with a north swell at incoming high tide. Not very consistent and gets very crowded
(L & S).
A beach break with a left point that works better at high tides and early in the morning. This area offers some of the most consistent year-round surf ranging from head-high to double overhead and much less crowded than the Tamarindo area.
Located waaaay down there between Nosara and Mal Pais. Nice beach break that is surrounded by rocks. This break is very consistent and offers surf year-round. Best conditions from the south, or southwest.
- Get Surf Lessons in Nosara - Instruction program is customized for each student, maximum 2 students per instructor, including board and transport. These can also be multiple day lessons, and very comprehensive.
- Stop by the Harbor Reef for a post surf cocktail at their poolside bar
- Yoga Class – Enjoy one of the many amazing yoga locations in Nosara, known for their great yogi and healthy vibes.
- Guiones Beach - aside from excellent surfing, this is a great place to watch the sunset
- Canopy Tour in Nosara - Includes equipment, bilingual guides, transportation and snack.
- Stand Up Paddling Tour - Tour of the waters via stand up paddle board in Nosara – great views, great relaxing exercise![/list]
Things to Avoid
Nothing really. This place is truly Pura Vida!
Here are the surf travel packages for the Nosara region: